Padma Nara Swara was founded in 1982 by A. A. Gd Oka Dalem, after collaborating with Guruh Soekarno Putra to create a performance for the Opening Ceremony of the Jakarta Fair (Pekan Raya Jakarta). It was hoped that the formation of such a group would stimulate young people in Peliatan to become more interested in modern dance and motivate them to participate more actively in such dances of more dynamic nature.
The formation of this group provided a channel for young people to develop their skills and explore their creativity and expressions in the area of modern dance. The group started training and practicing, working together to create new dances and eventually were requested to perform in other banjars(community groups within a vilalge), villages, and even places outside the Gianyar region.
Today, the Padma Sari group is still very active, and continues to perform professional and socially in Bali.
At present, Padma Nara Swara has about 40 members (2004).
History<br / >Since its formation at Puri Kaleran in Peliatan, Padma Nara Swara has often been requested to perform for both official functions and commercial events. Some of these have included:
- Collaborating with GSP (Guruh Soekarno Putra) at Nusa Dua for Haul Bung Karno(a ceremony to commemorate President Soekarno’s death)
- Performing in the Bhinneka Tunggal Ikaprogram (Unity in Diversity) for TVRI
- Performing in the New Year’s Eve Celebration concert (live broadcast) for Indosiar(TV channel):2000 – at Garuda Wisnu Kencana (GWK), Jimbaran
2001 – at Garuda Wisnu Kencana (GWK), Jimbaran
2003 – at Bajra Sandi, Renon
- Performing for the Second Anniversary Celebration of Bali TVin 2003
- Performing for the Anniversary Celebrations of Negara in Jembrana regency in 2003
- Participating in the Opening Ceremony for the 13th Nusa Dua Festival in 2004
Padma Nara Swara have also collaborated with other choreographers for various performances, including:
- Guruh Soekarno Putra (GSP)
- Denny Malik (Pentas Indo)